August 26, 2017

Taliesin

August 26, 2017 (238/365)

"No house should ever be on a hill or on anything. 
It should be of the hill. Belonging to it. 
Hill and house should live together each the happier for the other."
~ Frank Lloyd Wright, Taliesin "The Shining Brow"

Tours begin in the Visitor's Center in the former Spring Green Restaurant
Hillside Studio and Theatre
Assembly Hall (Notice the misspelling on the fireplace)
Hillside Theatre with curtain representing the Taliesin Estate
Printing Press
Romeo & Juliet Windmill Tower
Midway Barns on the working farm
The third iteration Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio.
For more information about the devastating fires 
that destroyed the first two versions of Taliesin, click here.

Foo Lions welcome guests
Asian artifacts throughout the estate
Encroaching trees -- an all-too-common FLW dilemma
The oriental gardens (Notice the signature red squares repeated everywhere)
Mr. Wright's Studio
The formal living room
The blue logia (Furniture by Marshall Fields)
The terrace and bird walk
Unity Chapel, designed by Mr. Wright in 1886, when he was 19 years old
Frank Lloyd Wright is not buried here and he was actually born in 1867.
His remains were exhumed and cremated after the death of his third wife, 
so that their ashes could be scattered together -- 
as if he wasn't plagued enough by fire when he was alive.